Friday 26 October 2012

Everyone Loves Noodles

I was going to call this post something like 'a quick supper', which the dish was, but that would have been too Nigel Slater - good ideas, prissy-fussy writing style.

Those nearly straight to wok noodles - softened in boiling water for a minute or so - are a godsend when you need to get food on the table quickly. Work had kept me from preparing anything, and both Joe and I were hungry, so a noodle dish was the simple solution. Or as Nigel would write: Work had kept me at my desk facing a pale antique-ivory screen, looking out over the trees shedding their leaves of medieval gold. Both Joe and I were hungry. So a noodle dish made a quick and comforting supper. At this time of year noodles call to me etc.... And we're back again.

Quick tends to mean with little or no meat, thus cheap-ish. In this case I defrosted a bag of tiny prawns for the protein component, so not for pennies but still economical. Chopping veg into matchsticks in order that they cook at the same speed is easy when they are peppers and carrots, but onions are trickier, a case for judgement - you want a bit of browning, thus thin half-moons here. A red chilli cut into fairly wide slices perked the dish up, and added a touch of colour.

Thursday and not a lot of fresh veg in the kitchen, so I defrosted some broccoli florets (top bargain by the way and these were not mushy as I had feared when buying as an experiment) and when drained added them to the stir-fry that with soy sauce and a dash of sesame oil had a touch of braise about it at the end. Not a scrap left over.

2 comments:

  1. We have no kitchen currently and noodle stirfrys are a quick and easy and cheap option for us on our camp kitchen. We've been getting staright to wok noodles from B&M and Homebargains (69p for 4 servings) and making up a quick sauce from soy, frozen ginger cubes, chilli and seasame oil. Yum for little money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out frozen ginger cubes, sounds like a good idea - I love fresh ginger but if not used quickly it ends up tasting like soap. No kitchen in November must be tough. Can thoroughly recommend frozen broccoli florets btw, was surprised how crisp they stayed and how they really taste of broccoli.

    ReplyDelete