Thursday 8 May 2014

Gray (or Grey) is not the New Red

I've written here before about the positive aspects of colour, but yesterday I produced something that, while delicious (even if I say so etc) was not a delight, as it was gray. The gray of John Major's skin in Spitting Image. The gray of a naval vessel too long without a re-coat.

Doubtless whole bookshelves of scholarly stuff must exist on why we react as we do to colour (I wonder if it is the same, as regards food anyway, across cultures?). Gray is so unappetising.

The colour came about as I used the insides of a previously roasted aubergine (now there is a beautiful colour) along with a tin of anchovies, plus garlic and red chilli, zapped in our smoothie maker with stock as the basis of a fish soup. Basa fillets poached in it remained pleasingly white. Large prawns added some vivid coral. More chilli cut into rings flecked it with bright red. But the whole was inescapably gray.

That said, the flavour was deep, and the aubergine did the job I wanted of thickening the soup without the need for cream or carbs. It was moreish enough for two bowls apiece to disappear before it had cooled beyond the tongue-burny. But our conversation, just like this piece, was littered with the word 'gray'.

I tried to think of other gray foods, and only really came up with coley, not the most enticing of fish, and mushroom soup (not mushrooms raw or cooked, just the result of mixing the dark fungi with white cream), though acceptable enough not the favourite of many I'd hazard.

So negative was the reaction to the aubergine-enriched potage that next time I do something along those lines I'll have to add to the stuff to be blended tomato, or more chillis, or maybe some orange or red peppers. Contrary to Spike's assertion in Notting Hill, chicks don't like gray, and nor do chaps.

5 comments:

  1. Gray? What is this "gray"?
    Don't you mean grey?

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Gray: same as grey' (Chambers 20th Century Dictionary. Ya, and indeed boo sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But am I not right in thinking that "gray" is the spelling favoured by our transatlantic cousins and that you are a proud Englishman?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are equally acceptable, though 'grey' is indeed more common here in the land of the unfree. I, however, am not common, just mean and base. Continue this harassment and I will consult my solicitor anent (mainly Scottish usage) a suit against my solicitor. Ah the richness of the language what we using able.

    ReplyDelete