Wednesday 31 October 2012

Austerity Action and Corporate Coffee

We are living through austere times. During this recession we expect to receive less from the government whatever anyone says, and know that we will have to contribute more. We understand that, and hope it is a temporary situation. 

I pay tax. I guess that just about everyone who reads this - if anyone does - makes their contribution to society by paying income tax and maybe corporation tax. Even if I could afford teams of clever corporate tax lawyers I would not wish to avoid tax, however pious that sounds. It is part of being a good citizen. Starbucks does not apparently share that moral position, finding legal ways to avoid paying corporation tax here of late. So I will not be buying any of their products until I am told that they have changed, learning the difference between legal and moral. Losing my occasional purchase won't make much difference to the company. But if we were all as individuals to take this stance, they would have to take notice. Jimmy Carr got the message about what we thought of his - again perfectly legal - tax wheeze very rapidly, and had the sense to act. No campaign was needed, no marches, he obviously felt the force of public disapproval. Why not Starbucks?


No comments:

Post a Comment