Tuesday 18 September 2012

Simple Is Best

Three dishes made last night showed that KISS as with so many other things in life definitely applies to food. I did a stew with too many ingredients that was messy and had loads leftover, with thin juices - the horror. I will find a home for the juices, but guess that the veg, unless I try to pass it off as a soup having zapped the stuff, will be wasted. I hate waste, and I feel that every meal should be a good one: eating is one of life's great pleasures.

On the other hand as we had started to build an intervention stock of eggs I did a small starter of egg mayonnaise (Hellmann's, sorry purists) of which barely a molecule was left on our plates.

For pudding (adults only) I had soaked some figs, bought cheaply at Booth's, in spiced rum (a freebie for a review), plus a few spices and some sugar and lime-juice. After half a day in the liquid they were well and truly infused, and very lovely too. Two minutes of prep and a very rich pudding with a certain healthy credibility (of the figs are the digestion's Draino type) resulted.

No comments:

Post a Comment