Thursday 8 November 2012

Cheap Cuts - The Cheek of It

One truism of economical shopping is that meat needing longer cooking will generally be cheaper than something you can flash fry. The savings on the meat have to be balanced with the fuel used over two hours and more in the oven, but with a little planning several dishes can be done at once.

Two days ago I cooked a stew of ox-cheek, meat purchased at Waitrose (not famed for cheapness, but this was a fairly thrifty £6.50/kg). With carrots, onions, and a leek there was the basis of something nutritious, and I added a bowl of mango chutney to the liquid (leftover from a party) plus some of our own dried sage and a tea-spoon of Bovril, a magical meaty ingredient in beef stews and gravies. Cooked very slowly in the morning and into the afternoon (for four hours at 120C actually, while I was out interviewing someone for an article) and then cooled it was kept to mature in the fridge overnight - stews pretty much always benefit from this, the flavours developing and melding.



The result when reheated next day was very tasty: the meat could be cut with a spoon, the juices were sweet and unctuous, and there was next to nothing left. I added a tin of Heinz beans when reheating it, as the meat needed some bulk other than carrots to balance it.

My planning was a bit off, the only thing I 'cooked' with it some lemon and lime skins. After they are juiced don't throw them away, believe it or not once dried out they make very effective firelighters.

2 comments:

  1. since last years goodie revival tv I've found ox cheek to be harder to get and pricier. We're fortunate enough to have a dear stalker friend and have a freezer full of dead cheap yummy meaty venison. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is (was) Goodie revival TV? Fascinated to know. Am very jealous of you having freezer full of what I take it is cheap or free meat. Venison is one of my (many) culinary blind spots, whatever I have tried - flash fry, slow stew, fatty bacon in the cooking liquid, I have not managed to get the meat to be tender, though it tastes good. And I have heard that venison kidneys are delicious, but am yet to find any in a butcher's shop.

    ReplyDelete